Today started with a lot of calamity. I was on the phone with Air Canada Reservations, Expedia.com hotline, Expedia.ca hotline, and Air Canada Medical Desk for virtually hours trying to sort out my flight back to Vancouver using a credit and getting Duncan, my deaf French Bulldog Emotional Support Animal on board.
During the long holds and many ‘pardon -me’s?’ (why people with poor English skills are manning these call centres is beyond me – I would be so anxiety ridden if I had to answer phones in Spanish or French, I feel for these people ) the alarm at our rental property was going off.
Our marvellous tenant (who I will definitely have to do a full post on someday) had her father pop by to check on her dog while she was out but didn’t tell him about the alarm. So it went off to holy hell his solution was to shut the door, walk away, and notify no one. Fuck sakes.
ANYWAY HAPPY WHIPPED CREAM DAY, NATIONAL BIRD DAY, AND SCREENWRITERS DAY!!!
Whipped cream. What a delight.
As simple as:
- 1 carton of Whipping Cream
- 3-4 tablespoons of Vanilla
- 1/4 cup + of confectioner’s sugar
Whip with a mixer but don’t over mix – it can curdle. Just wait for strong peaks
Share with all the dogs in your life
Then put in a piping bag… or fashion one with out of a ziplock bag by nipping a corner off. Squeeze in circular-spiral motion onto a mug of hot chocolate until you have a fancy looking mound before you.
When you’re done staging the photos, share with whichever nearby dog matches your mug best.
That wraps up National Whipped Cream Day for me. Sometimes I put maple syrup in it too instead of the icing sugar, just FYI.
Now for National Bird Day
I chose to celebrate by watching a documentary on one of my favourite birds: Big Bird
The documentary is called “I Am Big Bird” and it follows the life and times of Carroll Spinney, the puppeteer
Things I learned:
- ‘Carroll’ can be a man’s name
- Puppeteering is hard fucking work- Carroll would have to walk around with the costume on with his arm extended upwards manning the head and a monitor strapped in there so he could see where he was going
- Carroll also manned Oscar the Grouch
- Big Bird was supposed to be on the space shuttle The Challenger that blew up. Thankfully for Carroll Spinney and children everywhere, the logistics were just too preposterous so they didn’t go forth with the plan.
- A woman was raped and murdered by the mason worker he hired on his property. Holy fuck, right?
I recommend this documentary – it was great to observe tidbits of episodes from my youth, now, as an adult. It was also neat to learn about the whole puppeteering process.
National Screenwriters Day
Apparently Screenwriters are the most under appreciated people in Hollywood, which seems weird to me because it sounds like they literally make the movie.
While my heart isn’t exactly bleeding for Quentin Tarantino or Ben Affleck …I will still take this time to celebrate the work of my favourite screen writer : Wes Anderson.
If you’ve never seen The Royal Tenenbaums, Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Grand Budapest Hotel, The Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom, The Life Aquatic, or The Fantastic Mr. Fox, hop to it
Tomorrow is National Bean Day, National Cuddle Up Day, National Shortbread Day & National Technology Day!!!