National Chocolate Day
I scrambled about the kitchen trying to find a chocolate thing I haven’t ‘covered’ in my daily celebratory journey.
A Costco sized bag of bittersweet chocolate chips was all my cupboards had to offer.
It triggered a painful memory – Duncan once ate a whole bag of these by mousing his way into our bottom cupboard.
He dragged the bag into the living room and into his doggy bed, then ate his hearts delight, rolling about them like Scrooge McDuck in a swimming pool of gold coins.
He was in his glee.
We were in absolute horror.
He is 18 pounds.
The cocoa percentage was 80%.
Cocoa is a neurotoxin for dogs.
He got sick. He puked and puked and shook and shook. We were up all night. He quivered and was weak with illness.
And look who was ready to go for round 2 when I was photographing this handful ??
Special thanks to the random Instagram follower who felt the need to explain chocolate is poisonous to dogs.
So rather than reflect on that horrific night that we nearly lost little Duncan, I encourage everyone to revisit the highlight reel of chocolate themed holidays !
But don’t forget National Chocolate Truffle Day